Daughter of Cepheus (2 syl.) and Cassiopeia. Her mother boasted
that the beauty of Andromeda surpassed that of the Nereids; so the
Nereids induced Neptune to send a seamonster on the country, and an
oracle declared that Andromeda must be given up to it. She was
accordingly chained to a rock, but was delivered by Perseus (2 syl.).
After death she was placed among the stars. (See Angelica.)
Ovid: Metamorphoses, v. 1, etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Andromeda from Fact Monster:
- Andromeda, in astronomy - Andromeda Andromeda, in astronomy, northern constellation located to the NE of Pegasus and to the S ...
- Andromeda, in Greek mythology - Andromeda Andromeda , in Greek mythology, princess of Ethiopia, daughter of King Cepheus, king of ...
- The 88 Recognized Constellations - The 88 Recognized Constellations In astronomical works, the Latin names of the constellations are ...
- Pegasus, in astronomy - Pegasus Pegasus , in astronomy, northern constellation lying SW of Andromeda and SE of Cygnus. It ...
- Kevin Sorbo - Kevin Sorbo actor Born: 9/24/1958 Birthplace: Mound, Minnesota After many guest appearances on ...