Daughter of Galaphron, king of Cathay, the capital of which was
Albracca. She was sent to sow discord among the Christians. Charlemagne
sent her to the Duke of Bavaria, but she made her escape from the
duke's castle. Being captured in her flight, she was bound to a rock,
and exposed to sea-monsters. Rogero delivered her, but she escaped out
of his hands by a magic ring. Orlando greatly loved her, but she
married Medoro, a young Moor, and returned to India, where Medoro
succeeded to the crown in right of his wife.
(Orlando Furioso.) (See Andromeda)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Angelica from Fact Monster:
- angelica - angelica angelica , any species of the genus Angelica, plants of the family Umbelliferae (parsley ...
- Painters - Painters Fede Galizia was born in Italy in 1578. By the time she was a teenager she was an ...
- David Plunket RICHARDSON - RICHARDSON, David Plunket (1833—1904) RICHARDSON, David Plunket, a Representative from New ...
- Martin GROVER - GROVER, Martin (1811—1875) GROVER, Martin, a Representative from New York; born in Hartwick, ...
- Judson W. SHERMAN - SHERMAN, Judson W. (1808—1881) SHERMAN, Judson W., a Representative from New York; born in ...