Athenodorus, the Stoic, told Augustus the best way to restrain
unruly anger was to repeat the alphabet before giving way to it. (
The sacred line he did but once repeat,
And laid the storm, and cooled the raging heat.
Tickell: The Horn
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Anger from Fact Monster:
- Angers - Angers Angers , city (1990 pop. 146,163), capital of Maine-et-Loire dept., W France, in Anjou, on ...
- Maine-et-Loire - Maine-et-Loire Maine-et-Loire , department (1990 pop. 705,882), NW France, roughly coextensive with ...
- Nabal - Nabal Nabal , in the Bible, wealthy sheep owner who resisted David's attempt at extortion. ...
- Eris, in Greek religion - Eris Eris , in Greek religion, goddess of strife. Angered at not being invited to the wedding of ...
- Loir - Loir Loir , river, 193 mi (310 km) long, rising S of Chartres, N central France, and flowing ...