Anthony (St.). Patron saint of swineherds, because he always
lived in woods and forests.
St. Anthony's Cross.
The taucross, T, called a lace.
St. Anthony's Fire.
Erysipelas is so called from the tradition that those who sought
the intercession of St. Anthony recovered from the pestilential
erysipelas called the sacred fire
, which proved extremely fatal
St. Anthony's Pig
A pet pig, the smallest of the whole litter. St. Anthony was
originally a swineherd, and, therefore, the patron saint of pigs.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Anthony from Fact Monster:
- Earl Anthony - Earl Anthony Born: Apr. 27, 1938 Bowler 6-time PBA Bowler of Year; 41 career titles; first to earn ...
- Marc Anthony - Marc Anthony singer, actor Born: 9/16/1969 Birthplace: New York City Dubbed the “reigning ...
- Saint Anthony of Padua - Anthony of Padua, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint, 1195–1231, Portuguese Franciscan, Doctor of ...
- Susan B. Anthony - Susan B. Anthony activist Born: 2/15/1820 Born in Adams, Massachusetts, Susan Anthony was a nearly ...
- Lee Iacocca - Iacocca, Lee Iacocca, Lee (Lido Anthony Iacocca), 1924–, American business executive, b. ...