Anthony (St.). Patron saint of swineherds, because he always
lived in woods and forests.
St. Anthony's Cross.
The taucross, T, called a lace.
St. Anthony's Fire.
Erysipelas is so called from the tradition that those who sought
the intercession of St. Anthony recovered from the pestilential
erysipelas called the sacred fire, which proved extremely fatal
St. Anthony's Pig
A pet pig, the smallest of the whole litter. St. Anthony was
originally a swineherd, and, therefore, the patron saint of pigs.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Anthony from Fact Monster:
- Earl Anthony - Earl Anthony Born: Apr. 27, 1938 Bowler 6-time PBA Bowler of Year; 41 career titles; first to earn ...
- Marc Anthony - Marc Anthony singer, actor Born: 9/16/1969 Birthplace: New York City Dubbed the “reigning ...
- Saint Anthony of Padua - Anthony of Padua, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint, 1195–1231, Portuguese Franciscan, Doctor of ...
- Susan B. Anthony - Susan B. Anthony activist Born: 2/15/1820 Born in Adams, Massachusetts, Susan Anthony was a nearly ...
- Lee Iacocca - Iacocca, Lee Iacocca, Lee (Lido Anthony Iacocca), 1924–, American business executive, b. ...