An ancient sect founded in the middle of the fourth century by
Apollinaris, bishop of Laodicea. They denied that Christ had a human
soul, and asserted that the Logos supplied its place. The
Athanasian creed condemns this heresy.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Apollinarians from Fact Monster:
- Apollinarianism - Apollinarianism Apollinarianism , heretical doctrine taught by Apollinaris or Apollinarius ...
- Saint Gregory of Nyssa - Gregory of Nyssa, Saint Gregory of Nyssa, Saint , d. 394?, Cappadocian theologian; brother of St. ...
- First Council of Constantinople - Constantinople, First Council of Constantinople, First Council of, 381, second ecumenical council. ...
- Monophysitism - Monophysitism Monophysitism [Gr.,=belief in one nature], a heresy of the 5th and 6th cent., which ...
- Encyclopedia: Christianity: General - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Christianity: General.