(The Court of). The most ancient consistory court of
England, the dean of which anciently held his court under the arches of
Bow church. Of course we refer to the old church, the steeple of which
was supported on arches. The present structure was the work of Sir
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Arches from Fact Monster:
- arch - arch arch, the spanning of a wall opening by means of separate units (such as bricks or stone ...
- triumphal arch - triumphal arch triumphal arch, monumental structure embodying one or more arched passages, ...
- Joseph Arch - Arch, Joseph Arch, Joseph, 1826–1919, English labor leader, a Primitive Methodist preacher. ...
- Gateway Arch - Image of Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Mo. designed by Eero Saarinen in 1935.
- Arch Ward - Arch Ward Born: Dec. 27, 1896 Promoter and sports editor of Chicago Tribune from 1930-55 founder of ...