(Anti – Calvinists), so called from James Harmensen, of
Holland, whose name, Latinised, is Jacobus Arminius. He asserted that
God bestows forgiveness and eternal life on all who repent and believe;
that He wills all men to be saved; and that His predestination is
founded on His foreknowledge.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Arminians from Fact Monster:
- Arminianism - Arminianism: Arminianism: see Arminius, Jacobus.
- Jacobus Arminius - Arminius, Jacobus Arminius, Jacobus , 1560–1609, Dutch Reformed theologian, whose original ...
- Simon Episcopius - Episcopius, Simon Episcopius, Simon , 1583–1643, Dutch Protestant theologian, whose original ...
- Jean Le Clerc - Le Clerc, Jean Le Clerc, Jean , Latin Johannes Clericus, 1657–1736, Swiss Arminian theologian ...
- Abraham Calovius - Calovius, Abraham Calovius, Abraham , 1612–86, German Lutheran theologian, whose original ...