(An). A notification sent to friends that the lady who
sends it will be at home on the day and at the hour specified, and will
be glad to see the persons mentioned in the card of invitation. These
“At homes” are generally held in an afternoon before dinner. Light
refreshments are provided, and generally some popular games are
introduced, occasionally music and dancing.
Not at Home.
Not disengaged, or prepared for the reception of visitors; not in
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on At Home from Fact Monster:
- Daniel Dunglas Home - Home, Daniel Dunglas Home, Daniel Dunglas , 1833–86, Scottish-American spiritualist medium, ...
- Kames, Henry Home, Lord - Kames, Henry Home, Lord Kames, Henry Home, Lord , 1696–1782, Scottish judge and philosopher. ...
- Sir Patrick Home of Polwarth - Home of Polwarth, Sir Patrick Home of Polwarth, Sir Patrick, or Sir Patrick Hume of Polwarth, ...
- Illinois - Information on Illinois — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- municipal home rule - home rule, municipal home rule, municipal, system adopted in many states of the United States by ...