so called because it embodies the opinions of Athanasius
respecting the Trinity. It was compiled in the fifth century by Hilary,
Bishop of Arles.
In the Episcopal Prayer Book of America this creed is omitted.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Athanasian Creed from Fact Monster:
- Athanasian Creed - Athanasian Creed Athanasian Creed , exact, elaborate Roman Catholic statement on the Trinity and ...
- Book of Concord - Book of Concord Book of Concord, name under which the collected documents of the authoritative ...
- Socinianism - Socinianism Socinianism , anti-Trinitarian religious movement organized in Poland in the 16th cent. ...
- Encyclopedia: Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches: General Terms and Concepts - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches: General Terms and Concepts.
- creed - creed creed [Lat. credo=I believe], summary of basic doctrines of faith. The following are ...