(Latin). The electrical lights occasionally seen in the
northern part of the sky; also called “Northern Lights,” and “Merry
Dancers.” (See Derwentwater.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Aurora Borealis from Fact Monster:
- aurora borealis - aurora borealis aurora borealis and aurora australis, luminous display of various forms and colors ...
- northern lights - northern lights: northern lights: see aurora borealis.
- southern lights - southern lights: southern lights: see aurora borealis.
- Anders Jöns Ångström - Ångström, Anders Jöns Ångström, Anders Jöns , 1814–74, ...
- airglow - airglow airglow, faint diffuse illumination of the night sky originating in the upper atmosphere. ...