A perfect Babel. A thorough confusion. “A Babel of sounds.” A
confused uproar, in which nothing can be heard but hubbub. The allusion
is to the confusion of tongues at Babel. (Genesis xi.)
God ... comes down to see their city,
... ... and in derision sets
Upon their tongues a various spirit, to raze
Quite out their native language, and instead
To sow a jangling noise of words unknown.
Forthwith a hideous gabble rises loud
Among the builders; each to other calls
Not understood. ...
Thus was the building left Ridiculous, and the work Confusion named.
Milton: Paradise Lost, xii, 48–63.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Babel from Fact Monster:
- Babel - Babel Babel [Heb.,=confused], in the Bible, place where Noah's descendants (who spoke one ...
- Isaac Emmanuelovich Babel - Babel, Isaac Emmanuelovich Babel, Isaac Emmanuelovich , 1894–1940, Russian writer, b. Odessa. ...
- Rinko Kikuchi - Biography of Rinko Kikuchi, Chieko in the 2006 film Babel
- Francis Henry Taylor - Taylor, Francis Henry Taylor, Francis Henry, 1903–57, American museum director, b. ...
- Aleksey Mikhailovich Remizov - Remizov, Aleksey Mikhailovich Remizov, Aleksey Mikhailovich , 1877–1957, Russian novelist, ...