is properly a “copus cup,” made of claret spiced and sweetened,
a favourite with the Duke of Beaufort of Badminton. As the duke used to
be a great patron of the prize ring, Badminton was used as equivalent
to claret as the synonym of blood.
Also a game similar to lawn tennis only played with shuttlecocks
instead of balls.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Badminton from Fact Monster:
- Badminton - Badminton MEN Event Singles Alan Budi Kusuma, INA Ardy Wiranata, INA Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen, DEN / ...
- Badminton - Badminton MEN Singles Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen, DEN Jiong Dong, CHN Rashid Sidek, MAS Doubles ...
- Badminton - Badminton MEN Singles: 1. Ji Xinpeng, CHN def. 2. Hendrawan, INA (15-4, 15-13); 3. Xia Xuanze, CHN ...
- Badminton - Badminton Men Singles: 1. Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen, DEN def. 2. Dong Jiong, CHN (15-12, 15-10); 3. ...
- Olympic Preview: Badminton - 2008 Summer Olympics badminton