in the second part of Absalom and Achitophel, a satire
by Dryden and Tate, is meant for Dr. Burnet, author of Burnet's Own Time.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Balak from Fact Monster:
- Balak - Balak Balak , in the Bible, king of Moab who hired Balaam to curse Israel. Balac is a Greek form.
- Balac - Balac Balac , Greek form of Balak.
- Zippor - Zippor Zippor , in the Bible, father of Balak, king of Moab.
- Peor - Peor Peor [Heb.,=opening], mountain, E of Jordan, to which Balak took Balaam to deliver his curses. ...
- Balaam - Balaam Balaam , the central character in an amalgam of Israelite traditions found in the Book of ...