(The) “Libra,” the 7th sign of the zodiac, which
contains the autumnal equinox. According to fable it is Astræa, who, in
the iron age, returned from earth to heaven. Virgil, to praise the
equity of Augustus, promises him a future residence in this sign.
According to Persian mythology, at the last day there will be a huge
balance big as the vault of heaven. The two scale pans will be called
that of light and that of darkness. In the former all good will be
placed, in the latter all evil. And each individual will receive an
award according to the judgment of the balance.
He has a good balance at his bankers. His credit side shows a
large balance in his favour.
Balance of power.
The States of Europe being so balanced that no one nation shall
have such a preponderance as to endanger the independence of another.
Balance of trade.
The money-value difference between the exports and imports of a
To balance an account.
To add up the debit and credit sides, and subtract the less of the
two from the greater. The remainder is called the balance.
To strike a balance.
To calculate the exact difference, if any, between the debit and
credit side of an account.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Balance from Fact Monster:
- The Balance - Balance, The Balance, The, English name for Libra, a constellation; also called The Scales.
- balance - balance balance, instrument used in laboratories and pharmacies to measure the mass or weight of a ...
- torsion balance - torsion balance torsion balance, instrument used to measure small forces. It is based on the ...
- BALANCE - Balance is an internal sense and relies on sensory receptors that monitor the position of the head and body. Whether we are still or moving, balance i
- Checks and Balances - Checks and Balances The system of checks and balances is an important part of the Constitution. ...