the god of peace, second son of Odin and Frigga. He was killed
by the blind war-god Höder, at the instigation of Loki, but restored
to life at the general request of the gods. (Scandinavian mythology.)
N.B.—Sydney Dobell (born 1824) has a poem entitled
Balder, published in 1854.
Balder is the sun or daylight which is killed by the blind-god at
the instigation of Loki or darkness, but is restored to life the next
was Broadblink (vast splendour
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Balder from Fact Monster:
- Balder - Balder Balder , Norse god of light; son of Odin and Frigg. He was the most beautiful and gracious ...
- Friday the 13th - Unlucky No. 13 combines Christian and pagan beliefs
- Sydney Thompson Dobell - Dobell, Sydney Thompson Dobell, Sydney Thompson , 1824–74, English poet. He is best known for ...
- Ragnarok - Ragnarok Ragnarok , in Norse mythology, the doom of the gods. According to prophecy the end of the ...
- Loki - Loki Loki , Norse giant (or deity) who personified evil. He hated the gods of Asgard and ...