A territory under a ban (lord), from the Illyrican word
bojan, a lord. The Turks gave this title to the lords of frontier
provinces —e.g. the Banat of Croatia, which now forms part of
the kingdom of Hungary.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Banat from Fact Monster:
- Banat - Banat Banat , region extending across W Romania, NE Serbia, and S Hungary. The term banat ...
- Caramel (Sukkar banat) - Starring Nadine Labaki, Yasmine Al Masri, Joanna Moukarzel, Sihame Haddad, Adel Karam
- Reşiţa - Reşiţa Reşiţa , Hung. Resiczabánya, city (1990 pop. 110,519), W ...
- Timişoara - Timişoara Timişoara , Hung. Temesvár, city (1990 pop. 351,293), W Romania, in ...
- Treaty of Trianon - Trianon, Treaty of Trianon, Treaty of, 1920, agreement following World War I in which the Allies ...