A theological paper-war stirred up by a sermon preached March
31st, 1717, before George I, by Dr. Hoadly, Bishop of Bangor, on
the text, “My kingdom is not of this world.” The best reply is by Law,
in a series of Letters to Hoadly.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bangorian Controversy from Fact Monster:
- Bangorian Controversy - Bangorian Controversy Bangorian Controversy , religious dispute in the Church of England during the ...
- Benjamin Hoadly - Hoadly, Benjamin Hoadly, Benjamin , 1676–1761, English prelate, center of the Bangorian ...
- nonjurors - nonjurors nonjurors [Lat.,=not swearing], those English and Scottish clergymen who refused to break ...
- William Law - Law, William Law, William, 1686–1761, English clergyman, noted for his controversial, ...
- Encyclopedia: Protestant Christianity - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Protestant Christianity.