Bank of a River
Stand with your back to the source, and face to the sea or
outlet: the left bank is on your left, and right bank on
your right hand.
Sisters of the Bank
i.e. of the bankside, “the brothel quarter” of London. Now removed to a
different quarter, and divided into “North” and “South.”
“On this side of the Banke was sometimes the bordello or stewes.” —Stow: Survey.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bank of a River from Fact Monster:
- Chippewa, river, United States - Chippewa Chippewa , river, c.200 mi (320 km) long, rising in several forks in the lake region of N ...
- District of Columbia - District of Columbia District of Columbia, federal district (2000 pop. 572,059, a 5.7% decrease in ...
- Chateaugay - Chateaugay Chateaugay , river, c.50 mi (80 km) long, rising in Chateaugay Lake in the Adirondacks, ...
- Jhelum, town, Pakistan - Jhelum Jhelum , town (1981 pop. 92,646), NE Pakistan, on the Jhelum River. Located on the main ...
- Melun - Melun Melun , town (1990 pop. 36,489), capital of Seine-et-Marne dept., N central France, SE of ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring