A literary club which takes its name from George Bannatyne, to whose industry we owe the preservation of very much of the early Scotch poetry. It was instituted in 1823 by Sir Walter Scott, and had for its object the publication of rare works illustrative of Scotch history, poetry, and general literature. The club was dissolved in 1859.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bannatyne Club from Fact Monster: