Doing Banting. Reducing superfluous fat by living on meat diet,
and abstaining from beer, farinaceous food, and vegetables, according
to the method adopted by William Banting, a London cabinet-maker, once
a very fat man (born 1796, died 1878). The word was
introduced about 1864.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Banting from Fact Monster:
- Frederick Banting - Frederick Banting Born: 1891 Purified Insulin. Canadian scientists Banting, Best, and Collip ...
- Sir Frederick Grant Banting - Banting, Sir Frederick Grant Banting, Sir Frederick Grant, 1891–1941, Canadian physician, ...
- Frederick Banting - Biography of Frederick Banting, The Canadian doctor who discovered insulin
- Charles Herbert Best - Best, Charles Herbert Best, Charles Herbert, 1899–1978, Canadian physiologist, b. West ...
- James Collip - James Collip Born: 1892 Purified Insulin. Canadian scientists Banting, Best, and Collip determined ...