Quod non fecerunt Barbari, fecerunt Barberini (What the
barbarians left standing, Barberini contrived to destroy). Pope
Barberini robbed the roof of the Pantheon to build the Baldacchino, or
canopy of St. Peter's. It is made entirely of bronze, and weighs ninety
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Barbari from Fact Monster:
- Barbary Coast - Barbary Coast Barbary Coast , waterfront area of San Francisco, Calif., in the years after the 1849 ...
- Barbary States - Barbary States Barbary States, term used for the North African states of Tripolitania, Tunisia, ...
- Barbary ape - Barbary ape: Barbary ape: see macaque.
- Jacopo de' Barbari - Barbari, Jacopo de' Barbari, Jacopo de' , c.1440–1516, Germano-Dutch painter and ...
- corsair - corsair: corsair: see Barbary States; piracy.