(3 syl.) A West Indian dish, consisting of a hog roasted whole,
stuffed with spice, and basted with Madeira wine. Any animal roasted
whole is so called.
Oldfield with more than harpy throat subdued,
Cries, Send me, ye gods, a whole hog barbecued!
Pope: Satires, ii. 25, 26.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Barbecue from Fact Monster:
- barbecue - barbecue barbecue [West Indian or South American], in the United States, traditionally an open-air ...
- BBQ: grills, cooking tips, history, methods, and more - Find information about barbequing, cooking tips, meal ideas, and the history behind the bbq cooking method.
- Baptists at Our Barbecue - Starring Dan Merkley, Heather Beers, Duane Stephens, Mike Christian, Michaela Nelligan
- Carl N. Karcher - Biography of Carl N. Karcher, Founder of one of the largest hamburger chains in the western United States, Carl’s Jr. Drive-in Barbecue. Karcher was a deeply religious ma…
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...