Latin, barbellus (the barbed fish); so called from the
barbules, or fleshy appendages round the mouth.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Barbel from Fact Monster:
- carp - carp carp, hardy freshwater fish, Cyprinus carpio, the largest member of the minnow family. A ...
- barbel - barbel: barbel: see carp.
- toadfish - toadfish toadfish, common name for the sluggish, bottom-feeding fishes of the genus Opsanus, found ...
- croaker - croaker croaker, member of the abundant and varied family Sciaenidae, carnivorous, spiny-finned ...
- Olympic Preview: Weightlifting - 2008 Summer Olympics weightlifting