A). A fichu, piece of velvet for the neck, or small neck-tie,
made at Barcelona, and common in England in the first quarter of the
nineteenth century. Also a neckcloth of some bright colour, as red with
And on this handkerchief so starch and white
She pinned a Barcelona black and tight.
Peter Pindar: Portfolio
“A double Barcelona protected his neck.” —Scott: Peveril of the
Peak (Prefatory Letter.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Barcelona from Fact Monster:
- Memorable Olympic Moments: NBA Dream Team, Barcelona 1992 - Summer Olympics memorable moments of the basketball Dream Team
- Memorable Olympic Moments: Greg Louganis, Seoul 1988 - Summer Olympics moments of Greg Louganis
- Barcelona - Barcelona Barcelona , city (1990 pop. 4,738,354), capital of Barcelona prov. and chief city of ...
- Barcelona: Bibliography - Bibliography See A. Boyd, The Essence of Catalonia (1988), L. Permanyer, Barcelona Art Nouveau ...
- Barcelona: History - History Barcelona was founded by the Carthaginians, and, according to tradition, it supposedly ...