(St.). The symbol of this saint is a knife, in allusion
to the knife with which he was flayed alive.
St. Bartholomew's Day,
August 24th. Probably Bartholomew is the apostle called “Nathanael”
by St. John the Evangelist (i. 45–51).
Massacre of St. Bartholomew.
The slaughter of the French Prostestants in the reign of Charles
IX, begun on St. Bartholomew's Day, i.e. between the 24th and
25th August, 1572. It is said that 30,000 persons fell in this dreadful
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bartholomew from Fact Monster:
- Saint Bartholomew - Bartholomew, Saint Bartholomew, Saint , in the New Testament, one of the Twelve Apostles, usually ...
- massacre of Saint Bartholomew's Day - Saint Bartholomew's Day, massacre of Saint Bartholomew's Day, massacre of, murder of French ...
- Bartolomeu Dias - Dias, Bartolomeu Dias, Bartolomeu , d. 1500, Portuguese navigator. He was the first European to ...
- - Can't read file indiana/bartholomew-county/default.html
- Bartholomaeus Anglicus - Bartholomaeus Anglicus: Bartholomaeus Anglicus: see Bartholomew de Glanville.