The basis, or that on which an animal walks (Greek, baino,
to go, and basis, a footstep). The foot is the foundation- hence, base of a pillar, etc. It is also the lowest
part, and hence the notion of worthless. Bass in music (Italian, basso) is the lowest part, or the part for the lowest compass of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Base from Fact Monster:
- acids and bases - acids and bases acids and bases, two related classes of chemicals; the members of each class have a ...
- base - base: base: see acids and bases.
- Chemistry - Find facts about chemistry.
- BASES - Many cleaning products, such as soap and oven cleaner, are bases. Bases neutralize (cancel out) acids. Alkalis are bases that dissolve in water. Stron
- Vandenberg Air Force Base - Vandenberg Air Force Base Vandenberg Air Force Base, U.S. military installation, 3,456 acres (1,399 ...