To be left in the basket. Neglected or uncared for. Left in the
To give a basket.
To refuse to marry. In Germany a basket [korb
] is fixed on
the roof of one who has been jilted, or one who, after long courtship,
cannot persuade the lady courted to become his wife.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Basket from Fact Monster:
- The Basket - Starring Peter Coyote, Amber Willenborg, Karen Allen, Jock MacDonald, Robert Karl Burke
- Venus's flower-basket - Venus's flower-basket: Venus's flower-basket: see Porifera.
- Spring Easter Basket Slider - Put this mixed-up basket of spring candy back together.
- Porifera - Porifera Porifera [Lat.,=pore bearer], animal phylum consisting of the organisms commonly called ...
- Poetry for Spring - Poems in Honor of Spring A selection of verses to cheer the winter-weary soul Compiled by Ann-Marie ...