The Netherlands; so called from the Batavi, a Celtic tribe who
“Flat Batavia's willowy groves.”
Bate me an Ace
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Batavia from Fact Monster:
- Batavia, city, Indonesia - Batavia: Batavia: see Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Jakarta - Jakarta Jakarta or Djakarta, city and special district (1990 pop. 8,227,746), capital and largest ...
- Batavia, city, United States - Batavia Batavia , city (1990 pop. 16,310), seat of Genesee co., W N.Y.; inc. 1915. It was laid out ...
- Christiaan Eijkman - Eijkman, Christiaan Eijkman, Christiaan , 1858–1930, Dutch physician. He was head of the ...
- George Washington LAY - LAY, George Washington (1798—1860) LAY, George Washington, a Representative from New York; ...