Bearded Master (Magister barbatus). So Persius styled Socrates,
under the notion that the beard is the symbol of wisdom.
(Bearded). Constantine IV., Emperor of Rome (648, 668-685).
Geoffrey the Crusader, and Bouchard of the house of
Baldwin IV., Earl of Flanders. (1160-1186.)
John the Bearded.
Johann Mayo, the German painter, whose beard touched the ground
when he stood upright.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bearded from Fact Monster:
- beard - beard beard, hair on the lower portion of the face. The term mustache refers to hair worn above the ...
- James Beard - Beard, James Beard, James, 1903–85, American cooking teacher, b. Portland Oregon. His ...
- Daniel Carter Beard - Beard, Daniel Carter Beard, Daniel Carter, 1850–1941, American illustrator and naturalist, b. ...
- Aaron's-beard - Aaron's-beard Aaron's-beard, name sometimes applied to several plants usually characterized ...
- Charles Austin Beard - Beard, Charles Austin Beard, Charles Austin, 1874–1948, American historian, b. near ...