Beautiful or fair as an angel. Throughout the Middle
Ages it was common to associate beauty with virtue, and ugliness with
sin; hence the expressions given above, and the following also—
“Seraphic beauty,” “Cherubic loveliness,” “Ugly as sin,” etc.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Beautiful from Fact Monster:
- Beauty and the Beast - The first animated feature nominated for a Best Picture Oscar
- meadow beauty - meadow beauty meadow beauty, any plant of the genus Rhexia, herbaceous perennials of wet places E ...
- Buildings, Structures, and Places - Find facts about famous buildings and structures, tallest buildings and towers, bridges, architectural masterpieces, the seven wonders of the ancient and modern worlds, endangered places, and more.
- Kaiane Aldorino - Biography of Kaiane Aldorino, Miss World 2009
- Caressa Cameron - Biography of Caressa Cameron, Miss America 2010