Hermits were of the Augustine order; they renounced all property, and lived
on the voluntary alms of “the faithful.”
were restricted to four orders: Franciscans (Grey Friars)
Augustines (Black Friars),
Carmelites (White Friars),
Dominicans (Preaching Friars
Begging the Question
Assuming a proposition which, in reality, involves the
conclusion. Thus, to say that parallel lines will never meet because
they are parallel, is simply to assume as a fact the very thing you
profess to prove. The phrase is a translation of the Latin term,
and was first used by Aristotle.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Begging from Fact Monster:
- Tughril Beg - Tughril Beg Tughril Beg , 990–1063, founder of the Seljuk Turk dynasty ruling ...
- Ulugh-Beg - Ulugh-Beg Ulugh-Beg or Ulug-Beg, 1394–1449, Timurid ruler and astronomer. The grandson of ...
- This Day in History: December 22 - December 22 1772 Construction of the first schoolhouse west of the Allegheny Mountains was started ...
- What does it mean? - soporific --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Cousin Elsa’s story about ...
- Raul Brandão - Brandão, Raul Brandão, Raul, 1867–1930, Portuguese novelist. His major theme ...