(Italian, beautiful lady ). This name was given to the
Deadly Nightshade, from a practice once common among ladies of touching
their eyes with it to make the pupils large and lustrous.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Belladonna from Fact Monster:
- belladonna - belladonna belladonna or deadly nightshade,poisonous perennial plant, Atropa belladona, of the ...
- belladonna lily - belladonna lily: belladonna lily: see amaryllis.
- deadly nightshade - deadly nightshade: deadly nightshade: see belladonna; nightshade.
- atropine - atropine atropine , alkaloid drug derived from belladonna and other plants of the family Solanaceae ...
- nervous system: Disorders of the Nervous System - Disorders of the Nervous System A number of diseases can significantly affect the proper ...