Lord William Howard, warden of the western marches
His Bilboa blade, by marchmen felt,
Hung in a broad and studded belt;
Hence, in rude phrase, the borderers still
Called noble Howard Belted Will.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Belted Will from Fact Monster:
- belt - belt belt, girdle or band worn around the body, originally to confine loose garments. Later the ...
- Great Belt - Great Belt: Great Belt: see Store Bælt and Lille Bælt, straits, Denmark.
- Little Belt - Little Belt: Little Belt: see Store Bælt and Lille Bælt, straits, Denmark.
- Corn Belt - Corn Belt Corn Belt, major agricultural region of the U.S. Midwest where corn acreage once exceeded ...
- Black Belt - Black Belt Black Belt, term applied to several areas of Mississippi and Alabama, the heart of the ...