The seat of a judge in the law courts; the office of judge.
To be raised to the bench.
To be made a judge.
The King's [queen's] bench.
The Supreme Court of Common Law; so called because at one time the
sovereign presided in this court, and the court followed the sovereign
when he moved from one place to another. Now a division of the High
Court of Judicature.
Bench of bishops. The whole body of English prelates, who sit
together on a bench in the House of Lords.
To be raised to the Episcopal bench.
To be made a bishop.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bench from Fact Monster:
- Johnny Bench - Johnny Bench Born: Dec. 7, 1947 Baseball C led NL in HRs twice and RBI 3 times; 2-time regular ...
- Pirithoüs - Pirithoüs Pirithoüs or Peirithoüs, in Greek mythology, king of the Lapithae. He and ...
- Honoring Your Pet's Memory - Almanac—Cool Stuff—Pets Honoring Your Pet's Memory AT A GLANCE More than just a ...
- the Plain - Plain, the Plain, the, in French history, term designating the independent members of the National ...
- Jenny Holzer - Holzer, Jenny Holzer, Jenny, 1950–, American artist, b. Gallipolis, Ohio. She links text and ...