(French). A simpleton, so called because they were supposed to
be, in a special way, the objects of God's care. (French, béni,
Old French, beneit, from Latin, benedictus.) We call an
idiot an “Innocent” (q.v.).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Benet from Fact Monster:
- Juan Benet - Benet, Juan Benet, Juan , 1927–93, Spanish novelist and essayist. He earned a degree in civil ...
- Stephen Vincent Benét - Benét, Stephen Vincent Benét, Stephen Vincent , 1898–1943, American poet and ...
- William Rose Benét - Benét, William Rose Benét, William Rose, 1886–1950, American poet and editor, ...
- Christie BENET - BENET, Christie (1879—1951) Senate Years of Service: 1918-1918 Party: Democrat BENET, ...
- Stephen Vincent Benét - Biography of Stephen Vincent Benét, He wrote "The Devil And Daniel Webster"