Formerly called Mackworth Inn, from Dean Mackworth, who died 1454.
“This house was, in the thirty-first year of the reign of Henry VI., a messuage belonging to Dr. John Mackworth. dean of the cathedral church of Lincoln, and at that time in the holding of one Lionel Bernard. ... and it hath ever since retained the name of Bernard's Inn.” —Harleian MSS. No. 1104.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894