One of the conspirators against the Republic of Venice “in whom
there was a hesitating softness fatal to a great enterprise.” He
betrayed the conspiracy to the senate. (Byron: Marino Faliero.)
(Henry ), in Sir W. Scott's novel of Guy Mannering,
was suggested by James Annesley, Esq., rightful heir of the earldom of
Anglesey, of which he was dispossessed by his uncle Richard. He died in
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bertram from Fact Monster:
- Sir Bertram Home Ramsay - Ramsay, Sir Bertram Home Ramsay, Sir Bertram Home, 1883–1945, British admiral. A career naval ...
- Nebraska State Capital - Image of Nebraska State Capital designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in 1922.
- What does it mean? - expand --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Bertram decided to expand his ...
- Bert Lance - Lance, Bert Lance, Bert (Thomas Bertram Lance), 1931–, American banker and public official, ...
- Charles Robert Maturin - Maturin, Charles Robert Maturin, Charles Robert , 1782–1824, Irish author. A minister by ...