To cheat, to obtain goods and decamp without paying for them.
“The landlord explained it by saying that `a bilk' is a man who never
misses a meal and never pays a cent.” —A. K. McClure: Rocky
Mountains letter xxii. p. 211.
To “bilk” in cribbage is to spoil your adversaries' score; to
balk him. Perhaps the two words are mere variants.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bilk from Fact Monster:
- Don King - Don King Born: Aug. 20, 1931 Boxing promoter first major black promoter who has controlled ...
- Carlo Ponzi - Biography of Carlo Ponzi, The guy behind the Ponzi Scheme
- Impulse - Starring William Shatner
- Bernard Madoff - Biography of Bernard Madoff, The Wall Street money manager who swindled $50 billion
- September 2005 - September 2005 World Four Charged in Murder of Lebanese Prime Minister (Sept. 1): Commander of ...