A putrid typhus, in which the body turned black with rapid
putrefaction. It occurred in 1348, and carried off twenty-five
millions in Europe alone, while in Asia and Africa the mortality was
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Black Death from Fact Monster:
- Black Death - Black Death: Black Death: see plague.
- Pestilence - Pestilence Pestilence is contagious disease that spreads out of control, killing many people. Here ...
- 1300–1399 (A.D.) World History - 1300–1399 (A.D.) World History 1312–1337 Mali Empire reaches its height in Africa under ...
- United Kingdom - Information on United Kingdom — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- plague: Bibliography - Bibliography See P. Ziegler, The Black Death (1969); W. Whitman, Travel in Turkey, Asia Minor, ...