To make a man bleed is to make him pay dearly for something; to
victimise him. Money is the life-blood of commerce.
It makes my heart bleed.
It makes me very sorrowful.
She found them indeed,
But it made her heart bleed.
Bleeding of a Dead Body
(The). It was at one time believed that, at the approach of
a murderer, the blood of the murdered body gushed out. If in a dead
body the slightest change was observable in the eyes, mouth, feet, or
hands, the murderer was supposed to be present. The notion still
survives in some places.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bleed from Fact Monster:
- bleeding heart - bleeding heart: bleeding heart: see fumitory.
- first aid: Severe Bleeding - Severe Bleeding Symptoms: External wound. Treatment: Apply pressure over wound with wad of sterile ...
- fumitory - fumitory fumitory, common name for some members of the Fumariaceae, a family of herbs native to ...
- first aid: Wound - Wound Treatment: Stop bleeding, cleanse wound with soap and water and cover with sterile or clean ...
- warfarin - warfarin warfarin , anticoagulant used to treat blood clots. In large doses it causes bleeding, and ...