That's a mere blind. A pretence; something ostensible to
conceal a covert design. The metaphor is from window-blinds, which
prevent outsiders from seeing into a room.
Blind as a bat.
A bat is not blind, but when it enters a room well lighted, it
cannot see, and blunders about. It sees best, like a cat, in the dusk.
Blind as a beetle. Beetles are not blind, but the dor-beetle or
hedge-chafer, in its rapid flight, will occasionally bump against one
as if it could not see.
Blind as a mole.
Moles are not blind, but as they work underground, their eyes are
very small. There is a mole found in the south of Europe, the eyes of
which are covered by membranes, and probably this is the animal to
which Aristotle refers when he says, “the mole is blind.” (See
Blind as an owl.
Owls are not blind, but being night birds, they see better in
partial darkness than in the full light of day. (See Similes.)
You came on his blind side.
His soft or tender-hearted side. Said of persons who wheedle some
favour out of another. He yielded because he was not wide awake to his
“Lincoln wrote to the same friend that the nomination that the
democrats on the blind side.” —Nicolay and Hay: Abraham Lincoln,
vol. i. chap. xv. p. 275.
Blind leaders of the blind.
The allusion is to sect of the Pharisees, who were wont to shut
their eyes when they walked abroad, and often ran their heads against a
wall or fell into a ditch. (Matt xv. 14.)
Francesco Bello, called Il Cieco.
Luigi Grotto, called Il Cieco, the Italian poet.
(1541-1585.) Lieutenant James Holman, The Blind Traveller.
(1787-1857.) Ludwig III Emperor of Germany, L'Aveugle. (880,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Blind from Fact Monster:
- color blindness - color blindness color blindness, visual defect resulting in the inability to distinguish colors. ...
- night blindness - night blindness night blindness, inability to see normally in subdued light. It is usually a result ...
- Karl Blind - Blind, Karl Blind, Karl , 1826–1907, German revolutionary and German-English writer. Arrested ...
- blindness - blindness blindness, partial or complete loss of sight. Blindness may be caused by injury, by ...
- river blindness - river blindness river blindness or onchocerciasis,disease caused by the parasitic nematode worm ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring