The infamous assizes held by Judge Jeffreys in 1685. Three
hundred were executed, more whipped or imprisoned, and a thousand sent
to the plantations for taking part in Monmouth's rebellion.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bloody Assizes from Fact Monster:
- Bloody Assizes - Bloody Assizes: Bloody Assizes: see Jeffreys of Wem, George Jeffreys, 1st Baron.
- Jeffreys of Wem, George Jeffreys, 1st Baron - Jeffreys of Wem, George Jeffreys, 1st Baron Jeffreys of Wem, George Jeffreys, 1st Baron, ...
- Taunton, city, England - Taunton Taunton , city (1991 pop. 47,793), county seat of Somerset, SW England, on the Trove River. ...
- Dorchester, town, England - Dorchester Dorchester , town (1991 pop. 13,734), county seat of Dorset, S central England. ...
- James II, king of England, Scotland, and Ireland: Reign - Reign When Charles died in 1685, James succeeded peacefully to the throne. An uprising led by the ...