A corruption of bodhi or bodhiruma (the tree
of wisdom), under which Sakyamuni used to sit when he concocted the
system called Buddhism.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bo-tree from Fact Monster:
- bo tree - bo tree bo tree or pipal, fig tree (Ficus religiosa) of India held sacred by the Buddhists, who ...
- Vietnam: Bibliography - Bibliography See C. Bain, Vietnam: The Roots of Conflict (1967); J. F. Cairns, The Eagle and the ...
- Anuradhapura - Anuradhapura Anuradhapura or Anarajapura, city (1995 est. pop. 40,000), N central Sri Lanka, on the ...
- peepul - peepul peepul : see bo tree.
- pipal - pipal pipal : see bo tree.