King Bomba. A nickname given to Ferdinand II., King of Naples,
in consequence of his cruel bombardment of Messina in 1848, in which
the slaughter and destruction of property was most wanton. Bomba II.
was the nickname given to his son Francis II. for bombarding Palermo in
1860. He was also called Bombalino (Little Bomba).
Another meaning equally applicable is Vox et praterea nihil,
Bomba being the explosion made by puffing out the cheeks, and causing
them suddenly to collapse. Liar, break-promise, worthless.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bomba from Fact Monster:
- Winter Olympics Memorable Moments: Alberto Tomba - Biography of skiing legend Alberto Tomba
- Alberto Tomba - Tomba, Alberto Tomba, Alberto , 1966–, Italian skier. The winner of five Olympic medals, ...
- Alberto Tomba - Alberto Tomba Born: Dec. 19, 1966 Italian alpine skier winner of 5 Olympic medals (3 gold, 2 ...
- papaya - papaya papaya , soft-stemmed tree (Carica papaya) of tropical America resembling a palm with a ...
- Emancipation Day: Puerto Rico - Emancipation Day in Puerto Rico celebrates the abolition of slavery.|Celebrating the abolition of slavery