One always poring over his books; so called in allusion to the
insect that eats holes in books, and lives both in and on its leaves.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bookworm from Fact Monster:
- bookworm - bookworm bookworm, popular name for the larvae of several beetles that bore through books, e.g., ...
- Animal Jokes - Silly animal jokes
- Clifton Fadiman - Clifton Fadiman May 15, 1902–June 20, 1999 by Beth Rowen Clifton Fadiman, writer, critic, ...
- Clifton Fadiman - Biography of Clifton Fadiman, Host of the radio quiz show Information Please
- Batman - Biography of Batman, Star of the Batman movies