A pledge. To borrow is to take something which we
pledge ourselves to return. (Anglo-Saxon, borg, a loan or
pledge; verb borg-ian.)
“Ye may retain as borrows my two priests.” —Scott: Ivanhoe,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Borrow from Fact Monster:
- George Henry Borrow - Borrow, George Henry Borrow, George Henry, 1803–81, English writer and traveler. He led a ...
- The Borrowers - Starring John Goodman, Jim Broadbent, Mark Williams (I), Hugh Laurie, Bradley Pierce
- Wedding Lore and Traditions - An explanation of wedding traditions
- Azrael - Azrael Azrael [Heb.,=help of god], in the Qur'an, angel of death, who severs the soul from the ...
- Juscelino Kubitschek - Kubitschek, Juscelino Kubitschek, Juscelino , 1902–76, president of Brazil (1956–61). A ...