Bought and Sold
or Bought, sold, and done for. Ruined, done for,
Jocky of Norfolk, be not too bold,
For Diccon, thy master, is bought and sold.
Shakespeare: Richard III., act v. 3.
“It would make a man mad as a buck to be so bought and sold.” —Comedy of Errors, iii. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bought and Sold from Fact Monster:
- Justin Morgan - Justin Morgan Justin Morgan, 1792–1821, American horse, the foundation sire of the Justin ...
- futures market - futures market futures market, a commodity exchange where contracts for the future delivery of ...
- Warren Avis - Biography of Warren Avis, Founder of the Avis car rental chain, the second largest in the country. He was a former major in the Army Air Force, and a car dealership o…
- Alberto Moravia - Moravia, Alberto Moravia, Alberto , 1907–90, Italian novelist born as Alberto Pincherle; ...
- SLAVE TRADE - People have been bought and sold as slaves around the world through much of history. This trade reached new heights in the 16th to 19th centuries, as