A game at cards: so called because the players brag of their
cards to induce the company to make bets. The principal sport of the
game is occasioned by any player bragging that he holds a better
hand than the rest of the party, which is declared by saying “I brag,”
and staking a sum of money on the issue. (Hoyle.)
Brag is a good dog, but Holdfast is a better.
Talking is all very well, but doing is far better. Jack Brag.
A vulgar, pretentious braggart, who gets into aristocratic society,
where his vulgarity stands out in strong relief. The character is in
Theodore Hook's novel of the same name.
“He was a sort of literary Jack Brag.” —T. H. Burton.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brag from Fact Monster:
- What does it mean? - querulous --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format “Reginald is so ...
- Spelling Bee - Figure out which of the red words below is spelled incorrectly and type the correct spelling in the ...
- Hilly Kristal - Biography of Hilly Kristal, Kristal founded CBGB, the famous nightclub in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. CBGB became the cradle for punk and art-rock in New York City in …
- The Murder of Medgar Evers - Civil Rights Cases - Byron De La Beckwith was convicted of murdering Evers in 1994, 30 years after the fact
- Birmingham Church Bombing - Civil Rights Cases - Almost four decades after four girls were murdered, the last killer was put behind bars