(Indian ). The self-existing and invisible Creator of
the universe; represented with four heads looking to the four corners
of the world. The divine triad is Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva.
One of the three beings created by God to assist in the creation of
the world. The Brahmins claim him as the founder of their religious
Whate'er in India holds the sacred name
Of piety or lore, the Brahmins claim;
In wildest rituals, vain and painful, lost,
Brahma, their founder, as a god they boast.
Camoens: Lusiad, book vii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brahma from Fact Monster:
- Brahma - Brahma Brahma , a god often identified, with Vishnu and Shiva, as one of the three supreme gods in ...
- Brahmagupta - Brahmagupta Brahmagupta , c.598–c.660, Indian mathematician and astronomer. He wrote in verse ...
- Karur - Karur Karur , city (1991 pop. 113,669), Tamil Nadu state, S central India. Milled rice, cotton ...
- Om - Om Om , [Skt.,=yes, so be it] for Hindus and Buddhists, a mystic word or mantra. Om is regarded as ...
- Kaveri - Kaveri Kaveri or Cauvery, river, c.475 mi (760 km) long, rising in the Western Ghats, Karnataka ...