(Matthew ). A testy, gouty, benevolent, country
squire, in Smollett's novel of Humphrey Clinker. Colman has
introduced the same character as Sir Robert Bramble in his Poor
Gentleman. Sheridan's “Sir Anthony Absolute” is of the same type.
“A'n't I a baronet? Sir Robert Bramble at Blackberry Hall, in the
county of Kent? `Tis time you should know it, for you have been my
clumsy, two-fisted valet-de-chambre these thirty years.” —The
Poor Gentleman, iii. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bramble from Fact Monster:
- bramble - bramble bramble, name for plants of the genus Rubus [Lat.,=red, for the color of the juice]. This ...
- Fruit: Fun Facts - Fruit: Fun Facts Source: The USDA Fruit Laboratory Blackberries and Raspberries Blueberries Citrus ...
- boysenberry - boysenberry: boysenberry: see bramble.
- raspberry - raspberry raspberry, name for several thorny shrubs of the genus Rubus of the family Rosaceae (rose ...
- blackberry - blackberry blackberry, name for several species of thorny plants of the genus Rubus of the family ...